Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I've heard it said that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...  This statement could not hold more truth for me and my mother.

Throughout my childhood, my mom has subliminally sparked my love and interest for fashion.  She wouldn't dare to send me off to preschool without an accessory of some sort in my hair.  While she is certainly to blame for my severe shopping addiction, which seems to be escalating with age, she has done a lot more than teach me how to hide the shopping bags from daddy.

My mother has instilled just the right confidence to allow me to successfully pursue a career in fashion.  She has taught me how to express my creativity and stand out from the crowd.  From day 1, I was a trendsetter with my pink fringe cowgirl boots, my jelly sandals, and my favorite jumpers.  As I began growing up, my mom always encouraged me to steer away from the so called middle school "norm" of Abercrombie and Hollister tees and zip ups.  While dabbling with different styles, I remember so distinctly how I took it upon myself to be the first one to sport a pair of Fuschia Pink Uggs in seventh grade.  It was quite the fashion statement, and I soaked it all up.  I loved the idea of being the only one to have them.  And I think that is something that has matured along the years with me.

The little fashionista that my mother subconsciously created, has grown and developed a palate of unique styles, different from the current fads that come and go.  But the biggest component of being able to do this... to be different and daring... is confidence.  I know that this very trait will ultimately help me to succeed in my future endeavors in the fashion industry and I have no one more to thank for that than my mother.

Simply put: Like mother, like daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment